Re: VFT hybrids

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Oct 07 1998 - 09:47:08 PDT

Date:          Wed, 7 Oct 1998 09:47:08
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: VFT hybrids

Dear Rich,

> >I have a VFT wich I am told is a Hybrid, it has arms about 6 inches
> >long with jaws that are quite large,
>
> Bruce's comment about having a hybrid VFT got me thinking. With all the
> talk about cultivars and clone naming etc I was wondering about the
> definition of hybrid. In botany, does hybrid mean an interspecies cross
> (and therefore not heard of with Dionaea) or would a cross between two
> Dionaea clones (for example Red Dragon and Akai Ryu) be accurately called
> a hybrid? If not, what would it be called?

In terms of cultivated plant nomenclature it would be a hybrid (a
cross between two different cultivars). Taxonomically, it would be a
species (i.e. the same taxon as for non-hybrid individuals) because
the parents belong to the same taxon. If there were infraspecific taxa
of _Dionaea muscipula_ (there are some names, but none is valid),
crosses between these would also be hybrids (nothosubspecies,
nothovarieties, nothoforms; the "notho-"prefix indicating hybrid
nature).

Kind regards
Jan