Re:Highland Neps and temperature

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 20:23:14 PDT

Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 23:23:14 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Highland Neps and temperature

----------
>I wonder if anyone have experience keeping the highland Nepenthes
>species; ventricosa, tobaica, singalana or macfarlanei, without large
>temperature fluctuations day/night?

Chris,

I know of several Nepenthes growers here in Florida (and I can think of
three of them that will probably read this) that grow those species, and by
far the most temperature tolerant one is N. ventricosa, which I grow under
lowland conditions. I have several different clones and they all tolerate
hot days and warm nights, but much prefer my winter conditions with warm
days and cool nights. Tobaica is the next most tolerant, requiring a bit
more cooling off, and singalana and macfarlanei are true highlanders,
needing cooler nights. These plants seem to enjoy warm, balmy days and
really need the night temp drop in order to produce nice pitchers. In the
U.S., those four species grow well in coastal California, where temperatures
are more easily maintained to their liking, and there is a high percentage
of sunny days.

As for your new, small Nepenthes; live sphagnum is good. Keep humidity high
and watch out for "damp off" (Botrytis).
Do not let the live sphagnum overgrow the plants, but otherwise, it provides
a perfect environment for root development.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida