RE: Leucophyllas..

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Oct 13 1998 - 08:04:20 PDT

Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:04:20 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Leucophyllas..

>What insects have other people out there seen their S.Leuc's eat? I'm

A late summer leuco pitcher turned brown recently and so I opened it up to
see if there was a problem. The pitcher was green at the bottom and green
at the top so only the middle portion had turned brown. The pitcher was
full of bumble bees towards the lower section of the pitcher and full of
brown moths from the middle to the upper portions of the brown pitcher.

They are the master for the end of summer spurt that some Sarr species put
on. Alata and rubra don't have nearly as many insects.

David
Atlanta, where fall is finally here and the pitchers only have a month or
two before the first freeze.