Fernando now in India!

From: Fernando Rivadavia Lopes (fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 14 1998 - 07:04:34 PDT

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 07:04:34 PDT
From: "Fernando Rivadavia Lopes" <fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fernando now in India!

To all,

       I'm in New Delhi, India, and this is the first time I come
acrosss e-mail around here, so it may be my last message before Hong
Kong. So Gilles (I didn't know you were in Hong Kong now!), please
contact Charles Clarke since he knows more details. We're planning to go
see D.oblanceolata for sure.

    As for Pekka, who will be visiting Japan. I will be in Tokyo from
November 6 at night to the 9th afternoon. I'd sure like to meet you and
I'll be seeing some of the Japanese CPers during those days, so let's
get in touch. Please call during these days (the earlier the better) and
leave a message with my friend Solange (020-5376263) or if you can't
find her, then my friend Pasha (03-33090702).

     To Joe from Nebraska, thanks for the kind words on my articles. I
am planning to write numerous articles as soon as I get back to Brazil,
especially because I've been promising them to seeveral CP
newsletters!!! And this time it won't only be on Brazilian CPs, but also
S.African ones, Japanese, Indian, etc.

> Jan said that there was definitely no
>manuscript or pictures dealing with this plant. I am a little
confused. Does
>this mean that the ID was incorrect and if so, what plant is it? I
don't
>recall a editor's correction or anything.

     Jan, what's the deal here? What have you been saying behind my
back?? :):):)

    For those of you who were present at the Bonn conference and met
Mr.Janarthanam, I wanted to say that he and his beautiful Indian Utrics
are doing fine. I spent a few days in Goa going around with him. Thanks
to Jana, I got the full package for Goa, including beaches, history
through all the old Portuguese churches, culture through a beautiful
dance exibition and a most interesting religious festival at his house
and which I was kindly allowed to participate (great food -- if only I
could learn how to eat it with my hands as dextrously as they do!), and
of course CPs!!

    Although the rainy season is practically over and little is left of
the local CPs, I nonetheless saw some nice pink-flowered D.indica,
U.praeterita, and U.reticulata in the wild as wells as D.burmannii,
U.malabarica and another Utric, I can't remember the name, in
cultivation. U.reticulata is really a beautiful species with large blue
flowers on scapes that twine around anything and grow very long. It is
also VERY abundant around Goa, growing as a weed in rice paddies. I'm
surprised this species hasn't been introduced to cultivation yet
(although a few years ago the much uglier U.graminifolia was going
around with this name), being so beautiful and so abundant. I even saw a
lilac-flowered form growing among normal ones at one spot.

     Well, that's all for now. I'm enjoying myself tons here in India
(thanks a million to Jana and his family for the great time in Goa!!)
and have seen a lot already. I've still got more than 2 weeks and a
marathon schedule ahead including all of northern India and maybe Nepal.
Tomorrow I go see the Taj Mahal!!

 Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
New Delhi, India