D. peltata/auriculata ID

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Fri Oct 16 1998 - 19:19:50 PDT

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 22:19:50 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. peltata/auriculata ID

I have been growing 20 or so plants of D. peltata and D. auriculata in a 10"
pot for the past year. They have been in a state of semi-continuous growth
since November of 1997. When one dies back another invariably takes its
place within a few weeks. From good advice supplied by growers on the
listserve I have been keeping the pot in a moist state, letting the top get
a tad dry before supplying more water.

Anyway, my question. Is there a way of telling these two closely related
species apart? Are the floral parts the only way? When I planted them out
last year the tubers pretty much looked the same- red and globose. I have a
copy of Allen Lowrie's excellent book CP OF AUSTRALIA Vol. 1 but it only
contains a description of the Western Australian D. peltata.

Some of the plants I have growing contain a small basal rosette and aerial
parts while others lack this ground portion and have a pronounced reddish
aerial stem. The lamina on all plants (the aerial portions) are green with a
hint of yellowish gold.

Thanks for any help!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio (Where the autumn colours are at their best right now,
including my leucos!)
markp@en.com