Re: Dry nepenthes stems

From: Joe Cumbee (acumbee@surfsouth.com)
Date: Sat Oct 17 1998 - 16:35:47 PDT

Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 19:35:47 -0400
From: Joe Cumbee <acumbee@surfsouth.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Dry nepenthes stems

John,
     Do your Nepenthes stems hang over the edge of the basket or pot and
trail downward? If so this condition sometimes causes new bud growth near the
base of the plant in my Nepenthes, and as the new growth takes off growing,
the main stem will start to decline and eventually dry up. I do not know if
this phenomena affects only you and me, or if it happens in general to
others. I live in South Georgia and we have pretty high humidity especially
in the summer. I grow mine in hanging baskets on the front porch in the
Summer and in my classroom during the Winter months(Heat pump and air
conditioner environment)
Joe Cumbee
http://www.home.turbonet.com/ppm/ericnews/htm