Re:Nepenthes pitcher aroma

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 10:48:33 PDT

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:48:33 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nepenthes pitcher aroma

Trent here in south Florida. I've noticed on several occasions a sweet,
citric aroma exuding from certain Nepenthes pitchers, N. Dyeriana, N. "East
Everglades" (not officially registered...(kampotiana x maxima) x (kampotiana
x Mixta)) and a highland N. veitchii. On a humid, warm day, the aroma can be
powerful. Some people do not notice this distinctive aroma, others pick it
up as soon as they step in the greenhouse, asking "What's in bloom?" Anybody
else out there notice this? Which Nepenthes? Has any field observation shown
strong scented Nepenthes species attracting insects? I'm referring to
pitcher aroma, not flowers.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Fl