Re: Nepenthes Pitcher Aroma

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 19:54:47 PDT

Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 22:54:47 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Pitcher Aroma

----------

>To take this even farther, I suspect that perhaps the plants exude
>this aroma only during certain times of the day. I haven't checked
>this out yet, but it would explain why I can smell the aroma one day
>and not the next.
I agree! Some days there is no aroma, other days it is present. It seems
that I notice this sweet lemon smell on sunny days, winter or summer, when
the humidity is high and air movement minimal. I visited a friend in the
Tampa Bay area, and his highland N. veitchii pitchers were strongly scented:
I caught the aroma downwind of the plant in his greenhouse. This plant is
near a swamp cooler pad, and it was a sunny day.
I have also spilled pitchers, and the contents may smell like what would be
expected. Without getting too graphic, I'm referring to a partially digested
fence lizard.

>Note: Nepenthes flowers seem to emit an odor (NOT aroma) very
>consistently!

Pretty funky smell, those flowers! The pitchers exude a pleasant, somewhat
heady aroma. Lemon sweet.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Fl