Re: Sarracenia Problem: Phytophthora

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Sun Oct 25 1998 - 10:29:52 PST

Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 10:29:52 -0800
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia Problem: Phytophthora

Hi Gary, Mim and Everybody,

Phytophthora is a pathogen that is present in most natural water sources
except those that have been chlorinated or otherwise rendered useless
for cp cultivation. The best defense against this disease in my cp
cultivation experience, has been to use a media which provides excellent
drainage. The only plants that I put in pure live sphagnum moss, are
Darlingtonia and a few Drosera species which aren't easily overgrown by
the stuff.

My basic mix is peat/perlite in a 1:1 ratio and I haven't had any
problems with Phytophthora except for those plants that I forget about
which become waterlogged and thus, creating the perfect environment for
this fungus since it loves anerobic soil conditions with minimal
porosity.

Botritus is my main fungus problem as well as Pythium sp., especially on
seedlings, or the smaller plants. Alternating fungicides, which has
already been mentioned, seems to help keep this in check during the
darker days of winter when the plants are most susceptible to attack.
One final note; When I was the horticulturist for a large Rhododendron
species facility, we used to use a fungicide called 'Subdue' which was
the best known chemical in the 80s for eliminating Phytophthora in large
scale nursery beds; I don't know if it's still in existance, or if it
would cause phytotoxicity when used on cp, but thought I'd mention it.
Phytophthora is the number one killer of Rhodies and 'Subdue' was
extremely affective in controlling it when applied prior to planting.

Again, a well draining media that allows for lots of porosity appears to
be the best way to go in keeping this disease from wiping out your
plants.

Good luck.

Best Wishes,

Doug