Re: Red Sphagnum

From: Tim Williams Ext. 5529 (tjw@mail.cho.ge.com)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 07:32:46 PST

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:32:46 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tim Williams Ext. 5529" <tjw@mail.cho.ge.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Red Sphagnum

Mark Pogany writes:

>I recently received a small tuft of sphagnum from a friend. He was hiking in
>West Virginia and while "in the bush" found a small bog containing large
>amounts of very red, coarse sphagnum.

You have Sphagnum magellanicum. Of the dozen or so species of sphagnum
in West Virginia, this is the easiest one to recognize, it is almost
always red or purple tinged. In the deep shade of a laurel thicket
it is more green and purple. In full sun in an open bog it is more
golden and red. It keeps its coloration under cultivation.

All other WVa sphagnums are all green and most require fruiting
structures for positive id.

Tim Williams
tim.williams@cho.ge.com