Re:Nepenthes again

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 09:40:12 PST

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:40:12 -0500
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nepenthes again

> Does anyone know what size the pitchers on N. veitchii, Sungai Samba
> (lowland) must reach before they show the enlarged peristome?

Like Perry mentioned earlier in his posting, Nepenthes don't show their true
pitcher configuration until the plant is somewhat mature. N. veitchii will
not show a spectacular peristome until the plant has obtained some size, and
is "happy" with its growing conditions, Seedling size N. veitchii have
nondescript little pitchers, but as the plant matures, you will see the
pitchers progress towards typical form. What to expect in size and
coloration of the "Sungai Samba" clone, once matured, is best answered by
Andreas Wistuba, who has the plant in tissue culture. There is some
variability among veitchii clones, and I would be curious to know the answer
to this myself.

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach Fl.