Re: Ibicella

From: Frederick John Wallace (jwallace@mail1.nai.net)
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 13:18:47 PST

Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 16:18:47 -0500 (EST)
From: jwallace@mail1.nai.net (Frederick John Wallace)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ibicella

>Dear Frederick,
>
>> I grew Ibicella lutea this summer and tested it using the 'film
>> method' with my students and found that it seems to be insectivorous.
>> My students and I will be writing something up shortly about our
>> results.
>

>Did you test "certified" CPs and non-CPs as controls? Barry and I have
>done more or less the same as you and your students with _Ibicella_,
>and we did not find any significant activity in the film test.
>
>Kind regards Jan

Hi,
I did test a number of known insectivores as well as hirsute known
non-insectivores. As I mentioned to Barry, I checked the films under a
microscope and the emulsion appeared to be dissolved (not ripped off as seen
in some other samples). Since I have never done anything like this before, I
might have overlooked something. I also assume the method is not very
reliable since it was almost too easy to do. If you or Barry would care to
check the films, I'll send them for your inspection. Thanks for your input.