Field trip with Charles Clarke and Fernando in HK

From: Gilles LARDY (g.lardy@faiveley-fareast.com)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 19:53:17 PST

Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 11:53:17 +0800
From: "Gilles LARDY" <g.lardy@faiveley-fareast.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Field trip with Charles Clarke and Fernando in HK

Hi all,
Well, where to begin...I caught a message on the mail list announcing the
arrival of Fernando in HK for a few days and directly contacted Charles to
see if I could be part of a field trip with both of them.
We went last Tuesday to Sunset Peak, one of the two locations of Drosera
oblanceolata in HK to have a look at these controversial plants.
Although the weather was quite cool in morning, it ended up as a beautiful
day for a hike and we've been able to see most of the CP species growing in
HK (D. spathulata, oblanceolata, U. bifida, striatula and N. mirabilis).
I must admit that I've not been very talkative during the walk (sorry guys),
mainly trying to catch as much as I could from the discussions between my
two colleagues which, as you may guess, went from the Bonn meeting to the
controversy about sub-CPs.
Just below the top of Sunset Peak we finally reached the area where D.
oblanceolata grows. Fernando and Charles took lots of pictures of the plants
and some samples were collected for herbarium purpose. To my delight,
Fernando said that the plants had enough significant characteristics to be
described as a separate species from spathulata.

Well, I would like to thank both of you guys for this very good day. It's
always good to meet other "weirdos" who also spend their time talking about
little ugly plants and their nasty carnivorous habits...
Hope to get copies of some of the pictures that were taken during the trip
since my camera batteries were flat.

Bye

Gilles in HK