Re: genetics

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 20:01:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 19 Nov 98 23:01 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: genetics

> factors, that is, other genes that can influence the color of a pitcher or
> flower, and whether or not that comes into play when it comes to anthocyanin
> production. My impression is that it is a factor because of the varying
> degree of anthocyanin production (that is, the variation in the redness of a
> plant) in plants.

Dear David,

   Perhaps because there is more than one type of anthocynin produced
in most plants? So that to create a antho-free plant you need two
broken genes from both parents that would have coded for a chemical
needed to create any anthocynins. Other plants may have genes which
do code for this, but don't have genes that code for all the possible
anthocynins and there for show less red.
   Infact I think I just realized this is why some S.leucophylla
have red in the leaves, but yet have yellow flowers. In normal
plants, the flower don't get as many anthocynins (This is most likely
true, since all the flowers on S.leucophlylla I have seen are *not*
the same color red as what seen on the leaves. The petals often appear
orange-red, while the leaves are a much darker red, where they are red.)
as the leaves and when one set of the genes which code for anthocynins
doesn't work, either the whole plant will be less red, or red will be
missing from one, or some parts of the plant where it is normally found.

What do you think?
Dave E

P.S. This has started me thinking about all the different shades
of color I see on S.purpurea--dark purle, blood red, near pink,
lilac, but nothing like orange, only S.luecophylla has that.
Whoa! All these possible genes, it's a enough to make your head spin!