Re: RE: Seed Germination and Light Levels

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Dec 01 1998 - 20:55:00 PST

Date:    Tue, 01 Dec 98 23:55 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: RE: Seed Germination and Light Levels

Dear David,

> In a pot of Darlingtonia that's been trying to germinate for a year now (bad
> joke - gr),

   I would give it a stratification period. That or forget about
seeing any seedlings...

> there is no algae growing on the top. My control here is that
> other pots sitting right next to it have varying degrees of algal growth.
> The difference between the two pots is that the Darlingtonia mix has
> charcoal pieces in it. I now suspect that charcoal in the media might be
> another method to keep algae growth down.

   Maybe charring some pine needles would be even more effective?

> I plan to add a couple of charcoal pieces to some pots with
> raging algae and see what happens.

   Please let us know!

> not sure, though, what effect charcoal itself might have on germinating
> seed. I have other pots of Darlingtonia with charcoal in the mix and have
  "but don't know how the other seeds might respond."

   I don't really see why they would suffer damage (this doesn't mean
I'm saying they can't)... Plants, in the wild, are often exposed to
burnt wood/leaves without damage. Infact, isn't this how many nutrients
from old growth become available to younger plants?

> I'm throwing this idea out there so that more knowledgeable people might
> comment on the pros and cons of adding charcoal to media. I'll add that
> it's used in orchid media to extend the life of the media, although I'm not
> sure about the mechanism that allows that to happen. Maybe by reducing
> bacterial growth?

   I thought charcoal absorbs reactive chemicals (like poisons) and
that helps keep the soil fresh (for lack of a better term.) Does
bacteria live in charcoal?

Dave Evans