Madagascar + tropical African Drosera

From: Fernando Rivadavia Lopes (fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 10:50:17 PST

Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 10:50:17 PST
From: "Fernando Rivadavia Lopes" <fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Madagascar + tropical African Drosera

Hi Matt!

           Here's another reply t an old mail of yours to the listserv,
on Madascar and tropical African Drosera. I saw some herbarium of
d.madagascariensis and what was either D.dielsiana or D.natalensis from
Madagascar recently, most likely the latter. The only other Drosera I
know which grows there is the rare D.humbertii, only known from a single
mountain in NE Madagascar(?). I've seen herbarium of this one and it
looks quite strange, with short villosa-like leaves on a short stocky
stem.

          As for other tropical African Drosera, I know that some
Japanese CPer (sorry I don't remember who, but I'll check for you later)
was in Zambia and other countries around tehre last year and found LOTS
of interesting stuff. I saw a picture of a plant he has in cultivation
and which may be D.elongata. Looked like a longer D.madagascariensis. As
far as I know, if anyone has the real D.affinis in cultivation, it's
this guy. All others are bogus.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazill