re:nepenthes growth

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se)
Date: Sun Dec 06 1998 - 05:47:51 PST

Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 14:47:51 +0100
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re:nepenthes growth

> Hi Chris,
>
> The answer to your first paragraph is : Yes, but not always. I've noticed
> ventricosa and its hybrids may throw ground shoots at a very early age and
> very prolifically, some clones are more likely than others.

Hi Trent,

Thanks for your reply. Now I got another one on the subject of multiple
shoots. I've noticed that one of the shoots is dominating. Will that
mean that the other two's growth will decline eventually, from the lack
of light, or will they still benefit from the dominating shoot's light
exposure? After all they are all part of the same plant.

 Do not worry, it will attempt to continue to grow. Watch out for
> changes in humidity and temperature to cause small new le

Sounds reassuring. The plant in question is a N. rafflesiana (Baku) and
I have moved it closer to the light (and warmth) to try to trigger its
growth. It had a reddish hue on the leaves when I got it. Isn't it a
sign that the plant has been exposed to a lot of light? By increasing
the light level I'm trying to imitate the plant's former lighting
conditions, to make it feel right at home. If the plant still will not
grow, I'm going to (as a last resort) nip off the "dormant" growing
point to see what will happen. Anyone tried that?

> Hope I've been of some help.

You sure have, thanks again.

Regards,

--