RE: Nepenthes requirements

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Sun Dec 06 1998 - 23:14:24 PST

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 02:14:24 -0500
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Nepenthes requirements

I was browsing the net looking for info on nepenthes. One place I was
reading said to not use full spectrum bulbs on these. Has anyone heard
of this? Also I found some great info on organic natural fertilizers
for cp. From what I have read states that organic fertilizers are
better than the chemical ones.

Ed

Ed,

Different growers use different techniques, especially when you consider
where they grow Nepenthes (glasshouses, large terrariums, outdoors under
shadecloth in the tropics, etc.). My circumstances here in Ohio dictate
growing all my lowlanders indoors under lights, while my highlanders are
cultivated in a coolhouse in the backyard. The lights I use for neps are two
tube fluorescent shoplights, with one cool white and one warm white. I find
that this is adequate for most lowland species that I grow. Other CPs like
drosera, helios, and seedling sarracenias like VHO tubes that kick out MUCH
more light and promote better coloration. These tubes tend to burn nepenthes
leaves so stick with the cheap cool/warm whites ($2-3 bucks a tube as
opposed to $30 and up for the VHOs).

Fertilization has to be carried out carefully and in dilute concentrations.
I stick with a product called Sudbury Sea Power and mix it with rainwater
(1.0-1.0-0.5). This is applied with a spritzing bottle to the leaves once a
month. This organic stuff works great on drosera as well. The best
fertilizer, of course, is live prey. One small petstore cricket in a
nepenthes pitcher per plant once every month keeps the plant happy.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio (72f today- this has been going on for two weeks!)
markp@en.com