Re: Heliamphora medium and deflasked plants

From: Dave (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 18:57:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 07 Dec 98 21:57 EST
From: Dave                                 <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Heliamphora medium and deflasked plants

Dear David,

> Here's the dilemma. If I put the container outside to get bright light,
> I'll have to remove the plastic and deal with fluctuating humidity so that
> option for now is out. The nice option of going outside is that days are in
> the 60s and 70s F and nights are 30s, 40s, and 50s. Great weather for
> Helis. I have a grow room of fluorescent lights and an HID light but it
> gets very warm during the day (into the 90's F),

   If you had wrote, "into the 80's," then you would have a very
good set up! But 90's are too hot, even for days with cool nights.

  Outside though... What if you had a large glass tank, open at the
top to let heat out, but with walls tall enough to ensure high humidity?
Also, Heliamphora does like very bright light, but it is much better for
the light to well diffused as they grow in misty conditions.

> it does get nice and cool at night. I could set up a separate fluorescent
> light (ug!) in the basement which is cooler and have pretty much just
> convinced myself to do that.

   Geez, these plants are so picky, it's almost too much trouble to
grow them! ;) I'm in the same fix with my Heli's too, the set up
I have is now a bit too shallow, as they are producing much longer
leaves than a year ago, but I have no way of increasing the height
of their tank... And if I could then what about the light? It would
be too far from the base of the plants and I'd have fungus up the
whazoo!

> I was going to soak the plantlets in superthrive but just couldn't find the
> bottle and may still go back and do that (or spray them) depending on the
> comments I get.

   That isn't really needed for Heliamphora. Especially those out
of TC. They don't seem to have any trouble growing roots on their
own. However, if the plant is established an you transplant it,
I suggest using Superthrive.

> Now that you know the growing conditions, I'd appreciate getting advice on
> how to ensure survival of the plantlets.

Good luck David!

Dave E