Re:perfect Nepenthes

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Dec 09 1998 - 11:38:54 PST

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 14:38:54 -0500
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:perfect Nepenthes

> Clyde Bramblett and Bruce Bednar. Ask them to speculate
>on some imaginative hybrids.

>I asked several people including Bruce about N. rajah x N. fusca,
>wondering what the progeny might look like. Most people I spoke
>with said: 1) the pitchers wouldn't be that spectacular, and 2)
>it would be a royal pain in the posterior to grow. I don't know
>the reasons for #1, only that these people were speaking from
>experience. But #2 is due to the increased difficulty in growing
>some highlanders.

Hello Perry. Bruce, Clyde and I have speculated extensively on Nepenthes
hybrids, and I have learned the history of many of their own crosses. They
have a number of cultivars that should be named, but they are not
particularly interested in going through the hassle. I have been extensively
photographing their clones, and eventually will attempt to "properly
register" the best of these (all with their consent and help).

As for N. fusca x N rajah. My opinion, FWIW, is in agreement with #1 and #2.
Rajah is large and round, fusca tall and narrow-- what are we breeding for
here? A nice big dark form of N rafflesiana would be a better choice- you
know the result would be large round pitchers with colorful markings. Those
of us growing Neps in the SE. US. find N. fusca difficult to impossible
without an air conditioned greenhouse. Fusca x rajah would certainly be a
highlander, and not tolerant of hot summer nights. Breeding with rafflesiana
would certainly "lower the elevation" making it more amenable to southern US
climes.

>Yeah, it would be great to have a spectacular form that is a vigorous
>grower and very tolerant of a wide range of growing conditions. How
>long would it take to find such a clone, given the time it takes
>to go from seed to recognizable plant?

It is a problem. Patience is required. Out of every dozen or so seedlings,
there is always one or two that grow faster and stronger than the rest-- or
exhibit desired characteristics ("perfect Nepenthes" criteria). These are
the plants that will end up named and in collections-- and hopefully used to
breed the next generation. It really requires raising large numbers of
seedlings, culling the best clones from the grex. This is where tissue
culture is not the desired method of propagation, in my opinion, but this is
a different topic. (before flaming me, folks, I am not against tissue
culture.) By the way, can we mericlone Nepenthes yet?

>Personally, I'd love to get my hands on the "leopard pitcher plant",
>N. burbidgea x N. rajah. Yes, I know that Jebb and Cheek published
>the given name, but I've forgotten what it is (sorry Jan). Is
>it N. x alisaputra?

Yeah baby! See the picture of it in Clarke's book? I've gotta build a
refrigerated greenhouse!

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida