Re: Media for N. mirabilis

From: Marc I. Burack (marcb@companionfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 05:27:40 PST

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:27:40 -0500
From: "Marc I. Burack" <marcb@companionfinancial.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Media for N. mirabilis

At 12:53 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Also, my N. mirabilis seem to readily develop red splotches on the
>leaves. Does this species generally like less light than most Nepenthes
>or am I likely dealing with a fungus or some other problem?

Dear Rich,

I just wanted to mention that I also get the "red splotches" on some of my
Nep plants. Amazingly it does not occur on all of them (even if the leaves
are touching!)

I have used fungicide on these plants, and it has worked to very limited
degree. I am now under the conclusion that "some" Nepenthes plants are
just more prone to this than others. I know it can be unsightly, but it
sometimes is beyond your control.

I would suggest that you hit the "affected" plants with some good fungicide
and see what it does for you. Some plants I have that show the splotch
problem have certainly benefited from a fungicide application.

Best of luck.

Marc I. Burack
marcb@companionfinancial.com