Anti-Spam Measures

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHURNEYM@UK.oracle.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 02:21:50 PST

Date: 11 Dec 98 10:21:50 +0000
From: "Nigel Hurneyman" <NHURNEYM@UK.oracle.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Anti-Spam Measures

I think that Rick has got the anti-spamming properties of the listserver
just about right. When my company was at its darkest hour, I think I
sent in contributions from 3 different e-mail addresses in one week,
from only two of which I was registered at. I also subscribe to a herbs
listserver which enforces the rule that you can only contribute from a
registered address, and I had to forego that for nearly a month while
we tried to resolve e-mail incompatibilities that were stopping me from
subscribing from my new address.

Insisting on a keyword in the subject is not necessarily a good idea.
Some of my friends complain that my e-mails never have subjects - in
fact they do but due to incompatibilities between our e-mail systems the
subject I typed in gets buried deep in the administrative data at the other
end. It is therefore possible that some people might not be able to
enter subjects that can be detected by the listserver.

(Hi Rick, have I earned a copy of March CPN by saying nice things
about you?).

NigelH