Re: unlurking with aphids

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 16:22:27 PST

Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 05:22:27 +0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: unlurking with aphids

Hi Karen:

>A related question: Shouldn't I see them going dormant? They're still
>putting out new leaves, and I live in Minnesota. They're on a sunny window
>sill and seem quite happy (except the aphid problem, which isn't bad as
>yet). I'm cutting back on the amount of (distilled) water they're sitting
>in, but they seem like they are flourishing and growing away there in these
>deep jars. They've probably got 6 to 10 inches of room for roots, depending
>on the jar. I bought them at the thrift store and they're all different.
>
>Thanks, again, brain trust!
>
>Karen. [doesn't use antibacterial soap, sponges, cutting boards or any of
>that silliness either]

I grow my VFTs in a large clay pot top dresssed with live sphagnum moss
where they get big and wild outdoors all summer (Canada zone 5, sometimes).
Like you, I have them on a windowsill when I take them in. However, in the
winter it becomes a _cold_ windowsill where they get rather ratty as they
go dormant from the drop in temperature as the winter progress. Often the
pot will partially freeze as I control the ventilation with a louvre in the
storm window. This causes no harm and also suits my Sarrs, including a
psittacina and a Darlingtonia. For over fifteen years I have never given my
VFTs any special treatment as to humidity and they thrive, grow both sets
of leaves and bloom well (if blooms are what you want, after the first
ones, which I enjoy, I cut them off to get more green growth and traps).

Terrarium growing of these comes with its own problems and if you can't get
them to slow down and take a cool rest, aphids may be the least of your
worries. They may also need to be repotted more often because VFTs really
like good drainage and even to dry out a little on the odd occasion. Rot
and mold can be a major concern.

I think that Dave will agree with me here, that spraying soapy water into a
jar is not a good idea, over the long term. An alternative, but a labour
intensive one, is to use a Q-Tip soaked in denatured alcohol and
individualy dab the aphids as you see them. This will not get them all, but
it will control them until you repot and can soak, or spray the plants. I
might consider repotting the plants into regular pots and using a removable
plastic dome(s) over them if there were concerns about humidity.

VFTs are really tough plants within their own range of growing conditions
and can take a lot of abuse.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick
Maritime Canada, Zone 5-ish on most given days
<writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>