White Bugs/Phytophagous Collembola spp

From: Alastair Robinson (Alastair_R@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 08:04:22 PST

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:04:22 -0500
From: Alastair Robinson <Alastair_R@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: White Bugs/Phytophagous Collembola spp

Chad,

While I can't honour the presence of snails among my plants, for the reas=
on
that they can cause a lot of damage to certain genera, I do tolerate othe=
opportunists - my Nepenthes collection is home to a small number of
spiders, one of which actually occupies the pitchers of my plants without=

coming to any harm.

>>I know, jade plants with peat moss, sounds strange<<
To be fair, an enormous variety of plants are grown in peat (or peat
containing) soils for a number of reasons - its acidifying properties,
water retention &c.&c. I've grown Passiflora spp. in pure moss peat in t=
he
past with much success.

Willem, thanks for the further information - I was wondering about that
very thing as, on one occassion, I did observe minor leaf damage to
Nepenthes seedlings - I couldn't find any other possible causes for it, a=
nd
have never observed them on my plants as you have, but felt that perhaps
one or two of these bugs were pulling a fast one on me. This hasn't
happened since however, but for those who are concerned about such
occurrences, it is a quick and easy precaution to microwave your soil
briefly before planting your seeds. One might want to bear in mind
Filippo's observation though... I haven't tested this one, and it is very=

plausible.

Well it's that time of year again, so wishing you all a merry Christmas a=
nd
a prosperous New Year/ein frohliches weihnachtsfest und ein gluckliches
Neues Jahr/un buon Natale e felice Anno Nuovo,

Alastair.