RE: pitcher gelling and Phytophagous Collembola

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 08:10:45 PST

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:10:45 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: pitcher gelling and Phytophagous Collembola

Regarding the pitcher gelling, I've seen this in my S. purpurea venosa,
and, like Gary Kong, I've always assumed it was a buildup of bacteria.
I'd also be interested in knowing what it is.

As for the little white bugs, does anyone know how far down into the
soil they'll live? I'm wondering if they might be caught by terrestrial
Utrics? Or would the soil be typically too saturated with water to
allow them to be near the traps? I notice they are especially numerous
in my pot of D. intermedia seedlings, and I keep that pot wetter than
the rest.

Merry Christmas, and happy "carnivorous meditation" over the holidays.

John Green
Salt Lake City, UT (-3 f last night)