Re: maxima and macrovulgaris problems

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Dec 28 1998 - 08:31:41 PST

Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:31:41 -0500
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  maxima and macrovulgaris problems

----------
> But
>after some months, now in winter, (and I'm surprised also because
>this is a highland) also the second leaf is without pitcher and also
>more forced (it seem the plant is in dormancy) and a leaf in the
>middle of the plant is yellowing. It's the dormancy?

Marcello,

Nepenthes do not have a dormancy period, because they are tropical. The leaf
yellowing is some form of stress, but not likely caused by your growing mix.
Most likely it is caused by light and or humidity changes. Low humidity, or
moving a plant from a high humidity environment to a lower humidity
environment, will cause leaf yellowing. Too much water at the roots will
cause leaf yellowing. I find repotted plants recuperate quicker by not
growing them extremely wet, but keeping the humidity very high. Keeping the
potting mix moist, not soggy, encourages root development. Because Nepenthes
are tropical, they grow slower in the winter, when the daylight hours are
shorter. Also, temperature is not a problem for maxima and macrovulgaris.
They should both be comfortable between 15 (night) and 28 (day) centigrade.
Keep relative humidity at the warmest part of the day at a minimum of 60
percent, for repotted plants, preferred 70 percent R.H.

Good luck,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida