D. regia

From: Marc I. Burack (marcb@companionfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Dec 29 1998 - 06:24:54 PST

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:24:54 -0500
From: "Marc I. Burack" <marcb@companionfinancial.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. regia

To the avid Drosera grower,

I was reading the recent addition to the December ICPS newsletter (The
Second Confrence of the ICPS) and there was an interesting portion that I
would like to get some feedback on:

On page 18, there is the subsection "Drosera in South Africa" where the SA
Drosera species are broken down into 4 categories by climactic zone.

In groups 1 and 4- the species listed are considered to be evergreen plants
in cultivation.

Group 2 is the winter growing-summer dormant species (D. cistiflora et al.)
 And it reflects that the group requires dormancy in cultivation.

Group 3- this is the one that I am curious about...it is D. regia and
reflects that the plant goes through a winter dormancy brought on by low
temperatures (between +5degrees C to -1degree C). It does not mention
wether or not the dormancy is required in cultivation under controlled
climate conditions.

My question to anyone who is familiar with the plant in cultivation is
quite simply, under controlled conditions is it a requirement to force this
plant into dormancy??

Thanks in advance.

Marc I. Burack
marcb@companionfinancial.com