Re: Heliamphora and temp.

From: Marc I. Burack (marcb@companionfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Dec 30 1998 - 04:50:11 PST

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 07:50:11 -0500
From: "Marc I. Burack" <marcb@companionfinancial.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Heliamphora and temp.

At 07:23 PM 12/29/98 -0800, you wrote:

><<
> Hi Jason. I have been growing Heliamphoras for about 11 years and have
> been selling them for about 5 years. Mine are all grown in 20 gal long
> tanks except for H. tatei which has to have a taller tank because of its
> height. They are grown under lights that sit on the glass that covers
> the top of the tank. The temps usually reach a high of 84 to 86 degrees
> during the time the lights are on because of the heat omitted from the
> fixture. If it seems too hot I just slide the cover back for awhile and
> let the heat escape. These high temps don't seem to affect the health
> of the plants. The temp falls back to room temperature during the
> night.
>
> These plants, for some reason which I do not understand, seem to have a
> reputation as being hard to grow. They're really not hard at all. Hope
> this helps. Angie Nichols Pawleys Island, SC
>
> - >>
>
>Dear Angie,
>
>I would be a bit worried about temperatures in the mid-eighties. I have
>noticed leaf-distortion at higher temperatures. One easy way to solve heat
>build-up is to take a small aquarium pump and feed some tubing to an air-stone
>in a jar of water within the tank. As cooler humidified air is forced into the
>tank, air near the tank top will find hairline cracks and escape. If you can
>place the air pump in a cool (but not freezing) environment, say by an A/C
>supply duct or in an unheated closet, garage, etc. so much the better!
>
>Cliff

I grow Heliamphora in a terrarium that consistently hits 90 degrees in the
daytime under grow lights. I have never encountered any problems with the
plants....they really are quite easy once they get going.

To all interested: PLEASE read the long term study that Triffid Park
conducted on Heliamphora growth in different temperature conditions. (It
can be found under the Heliamphora section of their webpage.

Marc I. Burack
marcb@companionfinancial.com