Calibrating thermometers/measuring light levels

From: Andy Falshaw (A.Falshaw@irl.cri.nz)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:39:55 GMT+1200
From: "Andy Falshaw" <A.Falshaw@irl.cri.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Calibrating thermometers/measuring light levels

I have recently bought a couple of cheap max-min thermometers from a
local store. I put them next to my old thermometer for a weekend. All
3 were close (+/-1degree C) on the min temperature, but differed by 10
degrees C on the max. Now I don't know which if any of them to believe.
 I suppose I can check the lower end of the temperature
range by putting them in the fridge or ice/water, but does anyone
 know of an easy way of checking them in the range 20-30 degrees C?

I've recently moved a tank into my office, in the belief that it
would get plenty of light. Well it seems I was wrong, and although I
was getting sun a few weeks ago now that its mid summer here
I'm getting little direct light. Is there any way to measure how
much total light a tank gets over a day, and compare
that with an "ideal" amount of light? Or should I just assume the more
light the better and put a fluorescent of some sort on the tank?

Thanks for any ideas/comments
Andy in NZ - no snow, lots of sun, and a 5.2 on the Richter scale
last week