moss in my cp soil

From: Christensen (chrst@srv.net)
Date: Sun Jan 03 1999 - 15:15:17 PST

Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:15:17 -0700
From: "Christensen" <chrst@srv.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: moss in my cp soil

I often use a 1/2sand 1/2peat mixture for my cp.
Always, I try to sterilize my soil using a microwave or oven.
However, eventually moss begins to grow with my cp.

Lucky for me, the moss that sneaks into my carnivorous plants
is not a kind that will overwhelm a small cp.

The moss that grows here is very compact, and tolerant of
extreme temps. It survives 90F and low humidity in the summer
and -10F cold in the winter. With my carnivorous plants, the
tallest I've seen it grow is aprox. 1cm.

I wonder, how many moss spores are floating in the air I'm
breathing? How many moss spores are in a Liter of my sand?

Maybe, the only way to grow carnivorous plants, without moss,
is growing them in tissue culture media. However, there are
carnivorous plants that grow better with moss. That's my
impression from what I've read in CPN and this mailing list.

Chad.