Use of CP's in medicine

From: Laurent Legendre (laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr)
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 04:24:37 PST

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:24:37 +0100
From: Laurent Legendre <laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Use of CP's in medicine

Dear list,

If I recall well, someone was asking early in december about the use of
CP's as medications. Here are some information I can share.

Doctors in France do prescribe Drosera pills to get rid of a cough after a
bad cold. These pills are used in homeopathy, some kind of soft, herbal
medicine. I've also heard that the french king Louis XIV (the sun king)
used to dring teas made out of Drosera rotundifolia (the sun plant!) to
treat his throat and have a more powerful voice.

To my surprise, I learned over christmas that doctors in Noumea (New
Caledonia) suggest their patients to eat Nepenthes pills to fight stress.
These small white pills are also produced as homeopathy treatment by a
laboratory called Boiron in France. When I told people over there that
Nepenthes plants are actually carnivorous, they did not seem to look like
less stressed to me.

take care, laurent Legendre