Re: trip to Madagascar

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 15:54:59 PST

Date:          Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:54:59
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: trip to Madagascar

Dear Laurent,

> I have a friend who's preparing a trip to Madagascar. He'll be working over
> there but will have a lot of free time to travel...and hunt for CP's. Would
> anyone have any site information for him? Thanks

The information I posted several months ago here is still valid.

In essence, it is actually quite simple. There is only one spot on the
whole island that is really worth a cp expedition. Everything else is
merely tourism. Your friend should go (non-stop, directly from the
airport, without looking back or asking around) to the Marojejy
Massif E summit, W Upper Manantenina, and look for the endemic,
poorly known, not-yet-cultivated (AFAIK), apparently very local,
possibly endangered, _Drosera humbertii_, take tons of photos, and
send them my way. ;-)

If he has some spare time left, he could also visit _Nepenthes
masoalensis_, but this species is known much better than the former.

If he is interested in _N. madagascariensis_ or _D.
madagascariensis_, he should buy one from his supermarket around the
corner rather than to disturb the plants in Madagascar.

On his trips, your friend should also look for _Utricularia_ and take
good close-ups.

If he can obtain a permit (_Nepenthes_ is CITES App. II listed!) and
if the plants will not be disturbed significantly, he should collect
herbarium material (preserved in alcohol if possible) for further
study and seeds for cultivation purposes.

Kind regards
Jan