Subject: Accursed plant predators!

From: R. Beer (bbeer@u.washington.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 08:24:41 PST

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:24:41 -0800 (PST)
From: "R. Beer" <bbeer@u.washington.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Subject: Accursed plant predators!

My condolences...

You don't exactly have plant predators; you have insect predators - this
is raccoon damage. They tear up the pitchers in order to get at the
trapped insects inside. About the only thing you can do is build a cage
around them; once raccoons learn of a food source, they never forget. I
was about to give up on tall Sarracenias because of this - during the
growing season, they even wait till the pitchers are well-developed and
have a good cache of prey before you go out one morning and find
everything shredded.

Good luck!

bob