I prefer an upright Drosophyllum.

From: Christensen (chrst@srv.net)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 20:16:39 PST

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:16:39 -0700
From: "Christensen" <chrst@srv.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: I prefer an upright Drosophyllum.

Does an upright Drosophyllum exist? Maybe, there's a cultivar
or a location where an upright plant grows.

I read in THE SAVAGE GARDEN about Drosophyllum and its
scrambling habit. I thought to myself 'I would like to
have a Drosophyllum plant but scramblers can be difficult
to handle'.

An extreme example is the Pothos plant. It grows
runners several feet long and can be a nuisance to
move. A solution is staking the plant or wrap it around
something that its roots will penetrate. I tried both of
those solutions and the wooden stakes rotted. A simple
solution is to 'prune' the plant before moving it. I don't
like to do that. I know, it is 'only a plant' but I don't
like doing that to a Pothos, anyway.

I DO NOT hate scramblers. However, they have a tendency to
borrow growing space from neighbor plants. Already, my
plants don't have an abundance of growing room.

I guess, scrambling habits help plants stay near the
ground where humidity is slightly better. Chad.