Re:S. x Catesbaei

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jan 30 1999 - 19:45:32 PST

Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 22:45:32 -0500
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:S.  x Catesbaei

>F1 hybrid:
>S.flava * S.purpurea = S.* catesbaei (sp?) has upright hoods, like S.
                                            purpurea does.

>F2 hybrid:
>S. flava * (S. flava * S. purpurea) also = S.* catesbaei, but it has
                                           hoods like S.flava.

>Also, if you self-pollinate an F1 hybrid of S.* catesbaei you
>will get a rainbow effect in the characteristics of next generation.
>Some will like more like S.flava, while others will look more like
>S.purpurea. Sometimes these hybrids can look nearly 100% like one
>of the parent species, even though it's not.
>I think you have to simply file all the possible
>characteristics of a particular hybrid under it's given name. If you
>really like a certain clone, say for the angle of it's hood, then you
>should name it as a cultivar so it gets reconition.
Yea, I've seen this too. I've seen many young plants raised from wild
collected seed, and the variation can be considerable, since the degree of
backcrossing is unknown.
I have a number of different clones of S. catesbaei, and they all have
spade/shovel-shaped hoods. Color variation is significant. Some are solid
dark red and others are veined to differing degrees. The hoods are fairly
consistent, however, the best having a very nice geometry to the ruffling
(geometric bilateralism?).

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida