Re: D. whittakeri

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 11:46:03 PST

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 19:46:03 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. whittakeri

I'm not too familiar with weather conditions in Western Australia during
late summer/autumn but I suspect you would need to spray for several
hours at a time to simulate the natural rainfall. :-) Far easier to soak
the seeds for a few weeks!

>You might also try lightly misting the seeds with a hand sprayer on a daily
>basis - thus simulating natural rainfall to wash out any inhibitors.
>
>Regards, Adrian Arnold.
>
>> Subject: Re: D. whittakeri
><SNIP>
>> In message <000a01be4bc5$d6cc3420$c8d2b4cf@markp.crscms.com>, Mark
>> Pogany <markp@en.com> writes
>> >Does anyone have experience getting D. whittakeri to germinate?
><SNIP>
>> Try soaking the seeds in water. Many tuberous Drosera seeds contain a
>> chemical inhibitor which prevents germination. In habitat this will be
>> gradually washed off by rains during the rainy season. The inhibitor
>> prevents seeds germinating after summer storms when the conditions are
>> not suitable for growth.

Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk
Web Site: www.pwilson.demon.co.uk