RE: Allergies and CP

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Feb 02 1999 - 11:47:49 PST

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:47:49 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Allergies and CP

Hi Richard,

>The pH of the mucilage of Drosera capensis is reported to be 5.0 in _The
>Carnivorous Plants_ by Juniper et al. I don't think this would be
>sufficient to damage human skin in the short term.

You're right. That pH will not damage skin.

>Drosophyllum on the other hand is reported to have a pH of 2.5-3.0. I
wouldn't want any of
>that in my eye!

Yes again. pH levels of buffered solutions that are below 4.5 start to
irritate the eye. pH levels between 3.5 and 4.5 can cause small breaks in
the corneal epithelium. It also depends upon the chemical because
hydrochloric acid at pH 3 is not irritating as opposed to pH 1, which will
send you searching for water.

 David