Re: D. petiolaris complex

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Tue Feb 02 1999 - 13:37:15 PST

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:37:15 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. petiolaris complex

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 Dionaea@aol.com writes:
>I am curious to hear about experiences that growers might have had with
>Drosera from the petiolaris complex. I would be interested to hear
about
>germinating experiences, soil, temperatures, dormancies and any relevant
>information. I am asking because I got some seed from at the seedbank
>of D. ordensis and D. derbeyensis. Thanks.

I am experimenting on this goups of Drosera as well. In general, they
seem to prefer warm to hot temperatures (up to 105f is fine). I have
been growing them in 50:50 peat sand mix. While they don't seem to go
completely dormant, they do seem to slow down when the temperatures drop
below 70. I have never exposed them to temps below 55f. I keep them
damp to wet when they are actively growing and just slightly damp when
they are not. Under these conditions, D. broomensis, D. paradoxa, D.
dilato-petiolairs and D. lanata seem to be thrive. D. fulva, D. caduca,
D. ordensis, D. falconeri, D. kennealyi, D. darwinensis, D. derbyensis D.
petiolaris and D. brevicornis do OK. I am open to suggestions from
anyone else with experience growing these plants.

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/