Sar seedlings

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Feb 03 1999 - 12:05:44 PST

Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 15:05:44 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sar seedlings

>Q2: I've had a difficult time growing Sarracenia from seedlings. I
>notice that as the seed sprouts, it produces the cotyledons (sp?)
>about 1 cm above the soil, and then all the pitchers are produced at
>that spot, the same place I assume the rhizome will develop. Should
>I push some of the soil up around the plant to bring it up to that
>level?

I know you're going to hate to hear this but Sarr seedlings are easy. When
I hear people say they aren't, I strongly suspect that the reason is either
insufficient light or cold/cool temperatures. I grow my seedlings under
fluorescent lights as close to the bulb as possible and then put them
outside during hot weather.

I occasionally find a seedling that seems to have lifted itself above the
mix. I not too kindly push it back down. I don't know if this works or not
because (and I hate to say this, too) there's too many seedlings to worry
about <gr>

The advice about light and temp apply to the growing season and germinating
seed and not the lower temps and lower light levels that induce dormancy.

David
Atlanta