Re: 3 Q's: gemmae, seedlings and hybrids

From: Dave (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Feb 04 1999 - 15:57:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 04 Feb 99 18:57 EST
From: Dave                                 <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: 3 Q's: gemmae, seedlings and hybrids

Dear Phil W.

> >Q3: When making a hybrid cross between Sarracenia species, does it
> >make a difference in the offspring which plant produces the seed?
> >
> Not as far as I know. There is probably a convention as to which plant
> (the plant bearing the pollen or the plant bearing the seed) is listed
> first but I can't remember which way round it is.

   The seed bearing plant (mother) is the one listed first. As
for the first question, it does matter for some plants, but CP'ers
haven't come up much definative data on for CP's yet. If there
is anyone who might be able to add info, I reckon that would be
Phil Sheridan, who has done alot of breeding experiments with
Sarracenia.

Dave Evans