Re: nep deformation and pitchers

From: Alastair Robinson (Alastair_R@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 01:06:00 PST

Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 04:06:00 -0500
From: Alastair Robinson <Alastair_R@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: nep deformation and pitchers

Chris,

I get this happening regularly with two plants in particular -
Nepenthes rhombicaulis and N. talangensis. It is much more
pronounced in the latter, in which the tendrils on leaves seven or
eight positions from the apex will spontaneously start to elongate
and develop into pitchers, although these are not much smaller than
the rest of the plant. And yes, it occurs *after* pitchers have
already been produced further up the plant. I notice on the
Malesiana Tropicals web-page that this species grows *very* slowly -
it is thus a happy observation that I can make when I see my TC'd
plant <from a German nurseryman> growing like the clappers - faster
than either of my N.rafflesiana and N.truncata. Anyway, I
understand that Nn.rhombicaulis, talangensis and aristolochioides
are closely related - perhaps it would be fair to assume that the
third species would also demonstrate this particular growth habit?

Warmest Regards,

Alastair. (It is now snowing - "London grounded to a halt yesterday
as half-an-inch of snow fell on the roads" ;) We are a quaint
country).