Re: Re: drosera morphology

From: Fernando Rivadavia Lopes (fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 20:47:22 PST

Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 20:47:22 PST
From: "Fernando Rivadavia Lopes" <fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: drosera morphology

Dear David,

             I seem to have missed your mail about the bugs getting
caught on the glands of D.montana var.tomentosa bracts. I believe it is
probably coincidence that tehy were gaught. I've seen a mosquito caught
on a D.m.montana scape. Anyways, the glands on bracts and scapes is very
common in Drosera and other non CPs. Most likely it helps keep the
crawling non-pollinators out of the flowers and away from the nutritious
pollen. In fact that's how carnivory is suspected of having begun at
least in the Droseraracea/Nepenthaceae lineage (see previous discussions
and Jan's mails on Plumbago), with these glands acquiring digestive
capabilities and then spreading to the leaves.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil

P.S. I'm glad to know your plants are thriving, congrats!