Sarracenia hybrids and their names

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 07:35:07 PST

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:35:07 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia hybrids and their names

I notice that in Peter's book and "CP of the USA and Canada" by Don
Schnell, they both give lists of the names of Sarracenia hybrids
commonly found in the wild. Hybrids with S. oreophila are never listed,
and I realize this is probably because there are no naturally occuring
S. oreo hybrids. Have names been given to all the other hybrids that
are typically produced only by growers? If so, where could I find such
a list?

Also, I note that S. leuco x S. rubra = S. x readii, but is this for S.
rubra ssp. rubra, or all subspecies of the rubra complex? Would it have
a different name if you used S. rubra alabamensis, etc., or would you
just note the particular subspecies that was used? The same question
goes for S. x rehderi, and all other rubra hybrids.

I'm planning on experimenting a bit this year with my plants and would
like to know the correct names. Thanks in advance for your help.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah