Sterile Drosera hybrids (was Hybrids & variety confusion)

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Sun Feb 21 1999 - 16:07:35 PST

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 17:07:35 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sterile Drosera hybrids (was Hybrids & variety confusion)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de writes:
>Have you really tested this? So far most _Drosera_ hybrids involving
>parents with *equal* ploidy have in fact been *fertile*. The only well
>known sterile hybrid (yes, Fernando, I know that there are other
>examples but these are not as well-known as this one) is _D. anglica *
>rotundifolia_ (cf. my previous, repeated messages to this list!),
>involving a (probably hybridogenic, tetraploid) parent with 40
>(_D.a._) and a (diploid) parent with 20 chromosomes (_D.r._).

I was under the impression that one of the most popular pygmy sundews in
cultivation, formerly referred to as "Lake Badgerup", was in fact D.
nitidula ssp. omissa x D. occidentalis ssp. occidentalis and that this
was a sterile hybrid.
Fact or fiction?

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/