Halogen lamps and CP

From: Adao Pereira (miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 11:42:10 PST

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:42:10 -0000
From: "Adao Pereira" <miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Halogen lamps and CP

Hello Chris and all,

> > Yeah i noticed the same thing. I got some unknown aquatic utric at the
> > lacps meeting in december and it got lots of algae in it when exposed
> > daylight but thrived under a halogen reading light i have. If i
> recall
> > correctly halogen is rich in red light? Most CPs dont like halogen.

What do you mean? They don't like it? I've had the better success on
gerninating CP seeds under halogen lights! I had some Genlisea seeds which
were standing for 2 months without any growth. As soon as I placed them
under halogen, lots of seeds grew in few days!
Then, I tried the same method with Darlingtonia, Sarracenias and VFTs and
they germed in one week without stratification! At the moment, they're
still under halogen and the strange thing is that Darlingtonia, which hates
heat, seems to be thriving although the temperature (due to the halogen)
exceeds 30 C !!

BTW, thanks, Larry for sharing your Aldrovanda experiences!

Good growing to all!
Miguel