D. pygmaea retentive glands

From: Bruce Salmon (brucesal@xtra.co.nz)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 12:50:56 PST

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:50:56 +1300
From: Bruce Salmon <brucesal@xtra.co.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. pygmaea retentive glands

Dear All

I was playing with my D. pygmaea (NZ green form) under a stereo
microscope as I was doing some drawings of it for my upcoming book on NZ
CPs.

I noticed that when I agitated the tips of the glands with my pencil
they would move rapidly (3-4sec) towards the middle of the leaf. They
would move through about 130 degrees from their previous horozontal
position. The next row of shorter glands also bent when agitated but not
as much.

I will try this experiment on other native species and let you know if I
find any more with this ability

Bruce