**Important** CITES & seed exports & imports

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@senet.com.au)
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 06:33:29 PST

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:33:29 +0000
From: "Russell Elliott" <relliott@senet.com.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: **Important** CITES & seed exports & imports

Hi everyone,

Russell here from the Australian Carnivorous Plant Society Seed
Bank. One of our members here in Australia, Ross Rowe, has just
contacted me about changes to the Wildlife Protection (Regulation
of Exports and Imports Act) 1982.

Currently, all seed (including CP seed) listed in CITES (Convention
on International Trade in Endangered species of Wild Fauna and
Flora can be freely traded without having to obtain an import/export
permit under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1982.

However, this is all about to change. New amendments to the
Wildlife Protection Act 1982, will mean that anyone who wishes to
import or export seed listed under CITES will have to gain a permit
under this Act.

These changes will also affect the export of any Australian native
seed, which can currently be freely exported. Of course, this
includes all native tuberous and non tuberous Drosera, pygmy
Drosera, Utricularia, Cephalotus, Byblis and the Australian forms of
Nepenthes mirabilis.

An export permit (to send seed out of Australia) will cost us $30.00
per shipment, or $150.00 per year for unlimited exports. I'm not
sure how this will affect people sending CITES listed and Australian
native seed into Australia, only that an import permit will be
required.

Currently I'm not sure how many CP species are listed , but I am
going to obtain a copy of the CITES documents to check.

These changes haven't taken place yet, and I'm not exactly sure
when they will occur. I'll keep my ear to the ground, and send
updates to everyone as more information comes to hand.

If anyone has any excess seed, we ask that they please consider
sending some to the Australian Carnivorous Plant Society in the
near future, so to avoid any trouble that may occur after these
amendments are made.

If anyone would like me to clarify any points, or discuss anything to
do with these changes, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

        -Russell Elliott