Steve's Seeds

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Fri Feb 26 1999 - 09:06:31 PST

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:06:31 -0500
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Steve's Seeds

Steve Alton wrote:

Apologies if this has all been covered before on the list, and I know
the basic information is available in any number of books, but has
anybody got any tips on germinating the following, which arrived
this morning (joy!):

Drosera cistiflora
Darlingtonia
Byblis liniflora
Heliamphora heterodoxa
Polypompholix multifida

My past experience with D. cistiflora is this. After receiving some packs
from SilverHill seeds I scattered the lot on the surface of 60/40 sand-peat.
This was around the first of May. The pot was left outdoors exposed to the
elements. While day temps were in the 10-20c range several consecutive
nights produced frost ( -2 to +2 c). I noticed massive germination (90-100%)
within a month. I've read quite a bit on the difficulty germinating this
species, along with WA Drosera. I guess this ONE TIME I got lucky! I still
have pots of year-old tuberous species that utterly refuse to germinate,
even when pretreated with smoke or gibb acid. Go figure! Maybe the AGE of
the seed has something to do with it.

B. liniflora should germinate within a month if put in a warm, humid, and
well lit location. This one is quite easy, unlike B. gigantea that has a
nasty habit of damping off when sown on peat.

I can't comment on the others as I haven't tried 'em yet.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio
markp@en.com