Re: Germination info

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 28 1999 - 13:58:26 PST

Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:58:26 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Germination info

Steve,

>Dear All,
>
>Apologies if this has all been covered before on the list, and I know
>the basic information is available in any number of books, but has
>anybody got any tips on germinating the following, which arrived
>this morning (joy!):
>
>Drosera cistiflora
Sow them in the autumn/winter and keep them cool. If the seed is fresh
they come up like cress!

>Darlingtonia
Sow them in late summer as they ripen. No need to stratify. If acquired
later in the year sow in the spring. Seeds tend to lose viability
quickly although I'm sure you can overcome this (hope so anyway!).

>Byblis liniflora
Sow as fresh as possible. Give very high temperatures and humidity. 35 -
40C is about right with 100% humidity. Seedlings very susceptible to
burn and humidity drops but as they increase in size they become
substantially more forgiving and with some weaning can be grown in a
regular greenhouse. You need to start these seeds very early here due to
the relatively short summer we get in the UK.

>Heliamphora heterodoxa
Never managed to get these to grow!
>Polypompholix multifida
Ditto.