T.C. Nepenthes growth rate

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 02 1999 - 06:51:24 PST

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 09:51:24 -0500
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: T.C. Nepenthes growth rate

Last autumn, I obtained some small tissue cultured Nepenthes plantlets,
and I'm wondering how long I can expect to wait for mature pitchers.
The plants are in a warm terrarium with fluorescent lighting. I give
them dilute orchid fertilizer which I have found enhances the growth of
seedling Sarracenias and Cephalotus when they are too small to consume
insects. It's already obvious that the little Neps grow at different
rates; Nepenthes albomarginata (red form) is a weed, Nepenthes veitchii
(lowland) is slower, and talangensis x hamata is positively glacial.

Nick

Nicholas Plummer
nplummer@duke.edu
http://www.duke.edu/~nplummer/